Health and wellness
- All WSU Spokane students enrolled for seven or more credit hours are required to pay a mandatory $85.00 student health and wellness fee, which provides them with access to primary outpatient health care by Providence Health & Services - Washington dba Providence Medical Group.
- This fee is not intended as a substitute for a health/medical insurance policy and does not cover care for dependents.
- Regardless of whether a student has government or private health care insurance, the university requires payment of the fee. Health and Wellness Services receives no funding from the university or the state to provide health care for students.
Student Health Services
WSU Spokane students have who have paid the student health fee may see health care practitioners at one of the Providence Medical Group facilities listed below:
Preferred Primary Care Centers: (8:00am-5:00pm weekdays).
- Providence Family Medicine Residency, 104 W. 5th Ave., Suite 200W, Spokane, WA 99204, 509.624.2313
- Providence Internal Medicine Residency, 104 W. 5th Ave., Suite 200W Spokane, WA 99204, 509.744.3750
Alternate Primary Care Centers: (8:00am - 5:00pm weekdays)
- Providence Family Medicine Hawthorne, 551 E. Hawthorne Rd., Spokane, WA 99208, 509.252.1900
- Providence Family Medicine Indian Trail, 5011 W. Lowell, Suite 100, Spokane, WA 99208, 509.385.0610
- Providence Family Medicine Manito, 1919 S. Grand Blvd., Spokane, WA 99203, 509.789.9925
- Providence Family Medicine North, 212 E. Central Ave., Suite 440 Spokane, WA 99208, 509.252.9602
- Providence Family Medicine Spokane Valley, 13102 E. Mission, Spokane Valley, WA 99216, 509.928.0300
- Providence Valley Family Medicine, 12509 E. Mission Ave., Suite 202, Spokane Valley, WA 99216, 509.928.7100
- Deaconess Family Medicine Center, 801 W. 5th Ave., Suite 205, Spokane, WA 99204, 509-755-5965
Urgent Care: (8:00am-8:00pm weekdays, 9:00am-6:00pm weekends)
- Providence Urgent Care Hawthorne, 551 E. Hawthorne Rd., Spokane, WA 99204, 509.489.2369.
- Providence Urgent Care South Division, 421 S. Division, Spokane, WA 99204, 509.474.2100.
- Providence Urgent Care Valley Medical Park (open est. April 1, 2014)
Available Services Include:
- Primary care office visits (including Providence Medical Group urgent care centers), no co-pay
- A preventative exam, at age-appropriate frequency
- A pap and pelvic screening exam on an interval recommended by the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Lab tests for the following as requested by the primary care physician:
Gonorrhea screen (limit 1 test per term)
Chlamydia screen (limit 1 test per term)
Complete Blood Count (CBC)
Urine dip and micro
Any Providence Medical Group services, medications, immunizations or procedures not available under this plan will be subject to cash payment by the student. Providence Medical Group will give a 20% discount for time of service cash payments. All students will be accorded the same access and privileges as any other Providence Medical Group patients, and shall be subject to the same clinic rules regarding conduct and financial obligations. Once a student is confirmed for the semester, they are covered under the plan, even if they withdraw from classes.
Additional Medical Services
WSU Spokane makes other medical and health services available to its students.
- 24-hour Consulting Nurse: 509-335-3575
- An optional medical plan is available to students registered for seven or more credits: Optional medical insurance
There are a variety of counseling services offered free of charge to students at Washington State University Spokane. Those include counseling for individuals, partners and groups, psychological testing, and workshops.
Students have the option of purchasing prescription drugs directly from the WSU Health and Wellness pharmacy (509-335-5742, fax 509-335-5745) and having the drugs mailed to their home free of charge. Note that your physician can fax your prescription to the HWS pharmacy.
Campus Wellness Collaborative
The Riverpoint Campus (WSU Spokane)Wellness Collaborative promotes physical fitness, nutritional health, emotional and psychological well-being, environmental stability, and community vibrancy. Contact Sicco Rood (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Get Your Health Questions Answered by Wellbeing Staff
Ask WB is a health education and information resource for faculty, staff and students. Submissions will be kept anonymous and answered by Wellbeing staff in collaboration with WSU educators, health care providers and health profesionals.
The Wellbeing staff will help find the answers and information related to the eight dimentions of health:
- emotional help
- sexual health
- general health
If you have a question, you can submit it at askwb.wsu.edu or call 509-355-WELL, and most answers will be provided within three days.
Students in Yakima
All students enrolled for seven or more credit hours are required to pay a mandatory health fee, which provides access to primary outpatient health care. In Yakima this service is provided by Central Washington Family Medicine. Click here for more information.
Specific questions concerning coverage should be addressed to:
- Health and Wellness Services, Pullman, WA 99163-2302, 509-335-3575 or the WSU Spokane Student Affairs office at 509-358-7978 or email@example.com.