Ceremony instructions for students
The celebrations begin Friday morning, May 3, 2012 with a commencement breakfast and awards ceremony on campus at 9:00 A.M., sponsored by ASWSU Spokane for graduates and their families.
- Commencement is Friday, May 3, at 2:00 P.M., at the INB Performing Arts Center (Spokane Falls Blvd.). Graduates will line up in the Convention Center no later than 1:30 P.M.
- WSU Spokane volunteers will help you check in. You should leave personal items with your family or friends as the lineup room may not be secure during the ceremony.
- When you arrive in the lineup area, you will pick up a card that has your name and degree. During the commencement ceremony, you will give this card to the faculty presenter as you come on stage to receive your diploma. you will need to hold onto this card. If you think that the presenter may have difficulty pronouncing your name, please write it phonetically on the card.
- Next, you will be directed to gather with other graduates in your degree program (signs will be posted). Staff will give you further instructions on how the ceremony will proceed at that time.
- Faculty and students will proceed to the Performing Arts Center. Faculty will be seated on stage. Students will be seated in the front rows of the auditorium in degree order, so it is important to stay with others in your program and sit in the row you have been assigned. The ceremony will be outlined in the program you will receive.
- The Chancellor presents each category of degree candidate to the University President (doctoral students first, then masters, then baccalaureate). When degrees are conferred, you wil be invited to approach the stage by degree - Doctoral students first, etc.
- Students in each degree program will go to the stage and a presenter will be at the podium at the top of the stairs. Hand your name card to that person and proceed across the stage, The president will hand you your diploma cover and shake your hand and graduate students will be hooded by faculty on the stage. Proceed down the stairs and back to your seats.
Enjoy the day and your accomplishments!
- Tickets for admission are required for the ceremonies and seating for guests will be available on an unreserved basis. Doors will open at 1:30 P.M.
- Students can request up to 8 tickets for guests.
- There is no charge for tickets for commencement guests. However, the limit is eight at this point. If you know you will have more than eight in attendance, please email Liz West at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students will be able to pick up tickets for their guests in the Student Affairs office the week before the ceremony. You will be emailed when they are available.”
- Students or their guests who need special physical accommodations should contact Liz West (email@example.com or 509.358.7534)/
- A professional photographer will take pictures of graduates as they receive their diploma cover. A second shot will be taken as graduate students are hooded or as undergraduates leave the stage.
- Only the official photographers will be allowed near the stage area. Personal pictures of graduates in caps and gowns should be take before and after the ceremony.
- Order forms are available on this website as at the commencement ceremony. The photographer will have a display table in the INB Performing Arts Center lobby with various order options.
- Caps and gowns (and announcements) should be ordered online at https://secure.jostensonline.com/wsu/. Your information will automatically be forwarded to the commencement coordinator for registration in the ceremony with a ZZUsis WSU Email confirming registration. This process may take over a week. If you have questions about your cap and gown order contact the Bookie at (509) 358-7860 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Parking and Travel
- Parking is available in lots directly south of the INB Performing Arts Center and the Convention Center.
- No parking permits are needed in campus lots that day.
- You may park on campus and walk down the Centennial Trail to the Convention Center.