• HOW TO
  • Admission Standards
  • Registration



For further information about WSU course requirements and the transfer of credit before you apply, contact Becki Meehan (509-358-7630) or (rebecca.meehan@wsu.edu).

Learn more by making an appointment.

  • What graduate programs are available?
  • Do I meet the admission requirements?
  • How do I apply?
  • Apply to WSU Spokane.


Thank you for your interest in graduate study at WSU Spokane!

Admission to one of WSU Spokane's graduate programs requires acceptance into the WSU Graduate School. While the requirements differ for each master's degree program, they share these:

  • A bachelor's degree recognized by WSU.
  • A 3.0 GPA from the last 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours.

Additionally, some programs require:

  • Specific prerequisites.
  • Letters of recommendation or letters of intent.
  • Either the GMAT or the GRE.


Application forms are available on-line , by calling 509-358-7978, or in the Student Affairs office in the Academic Center.

When you apply for admission to the Graduate School, you must submit official transcripts from each of the following:

  1. Any college or university that has granted, or you expect to grant, a degree to you. Include transcripts that show the last 60 graded semester hours or 90 graded quarter hours of undergraduate work.
  2. Colleges or universities at which you have taken graded, graduate-level (including doctoral) coursework after earning your bachelor's degree.

If you intend to request transfer credit for your program of study, you must submit official college or university transcripts that show this credit. Official transcripts are those mailed directly to the Graduate School from the registrar of the institution you attended.

WSU departments and programs are free to request additional transcripts as deemed appropriate. Transcripts from other institutions cannot be returned. You do not need to submit records of previous work at WSU.


WSU Spokane graduate programs focus on the health and social sciences and build on the advantages of an urban setting by offering students professional connections and real-world experiences.

Criminal Justice

These programs use an interdisciplinary approach to understand criminal justice agencies, the nature of law and social control, the use of research to create change, and deviant behavior. Students graduate prepared to lead in law enforcement, court administration, corrections, and academia.

MA in Criminal Justice »

Conduct and evaluate the applied research used by criminal justice professionals. The MA program prepares students to meet the primary needs of the criminal justice system, as well as PhD study.

    PhD in Criminal Justice »

    Advances knowledge of societal issues associated with crime, the work of criminal justice professionals, and the impact public policy decisions have on the criminal justice system. Offered in conjunction with WSU Pullman. Portions of the program are to be completed at the WSU Pullman campus.


    Education programs available at WSU Spokane prepare teachers and administrators for 21st-century challenges, open the world of education to people seeking career change, supply opportunities for both research and practical experience, and train students to be leaders.

    ProTeach Certification »

    Advances residency-certified teachers toward a professional teacher certificate. It may be combined with the Master of Education.

      Program Administrator Certification »

      Designed to prepare educators for the leadership challenges faced by program administrators. Credits may be applied toward the Master of Education.

      Field-Based Principal's Certification »

      Prepares educators to meet the challenges that principals face in the 21st century. Credits may be applied toward the Master of Education.

      Field-Based Superintendent's Certification »

      Addresses superintendent preparation, leadership standards, facilitation of change, and board relationships. Credits may be applied toward the Doctor of Education.

      Master of Education »

      Trains students to lead in K–12 schools, higher education, and settings such as business, industry, military, and health professions.*

      Master in Teaching »

      Helps individuals who hold baccalaureate degrees in fields outside education to become K–8 teachers.*

      Doctor of Education »

      A statewide program that prepares students to become K–12 administrators in public or private educational programs.*

      *Offered in conjunction with WSU Pullman. Portions of the program are to be completed at the WSU Pullman campus.

      Health Policy and Administration

      The HPA program prepares students to become health service administrators and community health policy leaders. As a CAHME-accredited program with high distinctions, a national leader in health finance education, and the seat of a Boeing Distinguished Professorship, the HPA program offers students rare opportunities to learn from top scholars and mentors from the profession.

      Master of Health Policy and Administration »

      Prepares health care managers to exercise professional leadership in health organizations and systems.


        The largest college of nursing in the Pacific Northwest, the WSU College of Nursing is a leader in advancing the delivery of health care, preparing tomorrow's nursing workforce, and conducting research aimed at improving health care for everyone. All of its programs emphasize patient safety, employing evidence-based practice, providing holistic care, and working with other health professionials to deliver individualized health care.

        Master of Nursing (MN) »

        Prepares advanced practice nurses with the leadership skills to plan, implement, coordinate, and evaluate health care, as well as formulate policy for a diverse and multicultural society.

          Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) »

          Launching in fall 2012, this practice-oriented doctoral-level degree prepares nurses to assume leadership positions or work as advanced practice nurses with a specialization as a family nurse practitioner, psychiatric/mental health nurse practitioner, or in community-based/population-focused nursing.

          PhD in Nursing »

          Prepares nurse scholars and faculty who teach students and conduct research in personal areas of interest.

          Nutrition and Exercise Physiology (NEP)

          The Nutrition and Exercise Physiology (NEP) program is the only research program in the state of Washington offering course work that integrates nutrition with experimental and clinical exercise physiology. Students pursuing a graduate program in this area will examine, from an interdisciplinary perspective, the multiple influences on an individual's health.

          MS Coordinated Program in Dietetics, Nutrition and Exercise Physiology »

          This professional Master of Science program trains students in the discipline of dietetics; teaches them approaches to dietetics, nutrition, and exercise physiology research; and prepares them to become registered dietitians.

            MS in Nutrition and Exercise Physiology »

            A research-based graduate program that focuses on nutrition and exercise physiology.

            PhD in Nutrition and Exercise Physiology »

            This program offers students the unique opportunity to pursue research interests in nutrition and/or exercise physiology, working from a molecular, clinical and/or behavioral approach.


              The WSU College of Pharmacy is a leader in protecting, promoting, and improving human health through cutting edge research and advancing clinical pharmacy practice as part of the health care team. Its innovative programs prepare the pharmacists and researchers of the future to meet the evolving health care needs of today and tomorrow. Students who enroll will have valuable opportunities to learn in both classroom and clinical settings, or perform research in laboratory and clinical trial settings.

              Doctor of Pharmacy »

              The ACPE-accredited Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) program prepares pharmacists to provide patient care in multiple health care settings. The PharmD program is offered at the WSU Health Sciences campus in Spokane, and at an extension location in Yakima on the Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences campus. The program emphasizes patient-centered care, drug therapy and disease state management, and interprofessional health team collaboration.

                PhD in Pharmaceutical Sciences »

                Prepares pharmaceutical researchers dedicated to the promotion of human health and wellness to excel in a career path of their choice such as academia, industry, health care, or private institutions.

                Speech and Hearing Sciences

                ASHA-accredited, this program combines science with clinical practice, preparing you to meet the diagnostic and therapy needs of children and adults with a wide array of disorders. Students enjoy individual attention from recognized scholars, an outstanding internship program, and the latest in technology.

                MA in Speech and Hearing Sciences »

                Centers on the diagnostic and therapy needs of children and adults with speech, language, learning, and hearing disorders.


                  ADMISSION STANDARDS

                  Regular student status

                  Generally, Graduate School acceptance (regular student status) requires at least a B average (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) for the last 60 semester hours of graded undergraduate work.

                  We will base admission on graduate study if you completed it at an accredited graduate school and if you maintained at least a B average (3.0 GPA) in 12 or more semester hours of graded graduate work beyond the bachelor's degree.

                  For GPAs below 3.0, WSU may grant provisional admission if the department recommends you and your total record indicates a high probability of success.

                  Departmental approval is required for any admission regardless of grade point average. Departments may require higher levels of performance than those cited. Because of limitations within certain departments, some qualified applicants may be denied admission.

                  International students

                  If your previous study occurred at an international university, the dean of the Graduate School may approve your admission if you present a superior academic record, furnish satisfactory evidence of adequate ability in English, and have sufficient financial resources.

                  Such applications should be completed at least six months in advance of the proposed date of enrollment in the Graduate School.

                  Provisional student status

                  Applicable to students with GPAs below 3.0 for previous work. If you are ineligible for regular student status because of your GPA, you may be admitted on provisional student status upon special recommendation of the chair of your major department and with approval of the associate dean of the Graduate School.

                  Provisional status may be granted because of special departmental recommendations, high Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) scores, or other indications of outstanding potential.

                  In such cases, you must supply the following alternative information:

                  1. Demonstrated preparation for graduate study within a discipline, which may include the following:

                  • Relevant undergraduate coursework and demonstrated capability in core or required coursework.
                  • In-depth knowledge of subject matter, shown by high performance on a GRE subject test.
                  • Exceptional artistic talent as indicated by a portfolio, recital, or audition.
                  • Successful work experience and demonstrated professional development over a period of years.
                  • Exceptional laboratory or methodological skills documented by publication of work

                  2. A written statement of your career objectives and reasons for pursuing graduate studies.
                  3. Written letters of recommendation from persons qualified to evaluate your academic record and potential.
                  4. An evaluation of the quality of your undergraduate institution and program of study.
                  5. Personal interviews.

                  Undecided graduate

                  The undecided graduate (UND-G) classification is for potential graduate students who have not fulfilled the application requirements at the time of, or just prior to, registration.

                  If you are UND-G, your application will be processed immediately and you will be:

                  • Required to pay graduate fees.
                  • Allowed to enroll in courses only with permission of the instructor and department offering them.
                  • Permitted to remain UND-G for up to one calendar year.
                  • Permitted to apply up to six hours of UND-G Class Six credit to graduate degree requirements, after admission to a WSU Graduate School degree program. Use of UND-G credits will be held to the usual time restrictions for program completion.

                  We require a separate application for pursuit of an advanced degree. Students who enroll under UND-G may or may not choose to complete applications to the Graduate School. They have no guarantee of acceptance should they apply.

                  Not-advanced-degree candidate

                  Applicable to students who hold baccalaureate degrees and want to take graduate courses, but do not want to pursue a graduate degree.

                  As a not-advanced-degree candidate (NADC), you must pay graduate fees and must be admitted to a graduate department or program. You may be admitted with less than a 3.0 GPA, but must maintain a 3.0 GPA once admitted.

                  Admission as NADC does not obligate the department or program to admit you to a degree program at a later date. You may take any course for which you have the necessary prerequisites, except those at the 700 or 800 level.

                  A maximum of six hours (nine for non-thesis master's and doctoral degrees) of graduate coursework with grades of B or higher earned under NADC classification may be applied to graduate degree requirements. The time limits of transfer credit apply to this coursework.


                  All graduate students must maintain continuous enrollment in the Graduate School, registering for each semester and summer session from the time of first enrollment until they have completed all degree requirements.

                  Continuous enrollment may be maintained by registering in one of the following categories: full-time, part-time, or graduate leave status enrollment.

                  Students on graduate leave status may discontinue enrollment for credit for a period of twelve months without penalty. After that time, they will be assessed a fee of $25. The Graduate School will consider students on graduate leave status to be in good standing for up to four consecutive years.

                  TIME LIMIT

                  The time limit for using graduate credits toward a master's degree is six years from the beginning date of the earliest course applied toward the degree.

                  CONTACT US

                  Academic Center, Suite 130
                  600 N. Riverpoint Blvd
                  PO Box 1495
                  Spokane, WA 99210-1495

                  Phone: 509-358-7978
                  Fax: 509-358-7538