Person with a weapon or gun
If you observe someone with a weapon, call 911 immediately and then call Campus Safety/Security at 509.358.7995.
If you observe someone who you believe might be in possession of a weapon, call Campus Safety/Security. Trust your instincts and do the following:
1. Observe at a distance and remember or jot down unique or significant information available to you.
2. Be prepared to provide the following information to the police department and Campus Safety/Security:
- A description of the person you are viewing.
- Distinguishing characteristics, such as a mustache, earrings, tattoos, or scars.
- A detailed description of the clothing worn by the person.
- A description of the person's mode of transportation and license number, if available.
- A description of the weapon seen and how it was seen or used or why you believe the person may be involved.
- A description of the parties involved.
3. Under no circumstances should you confront a person you believe is armed. Do not look the person directly in the eye.
4. If you are in harm's way of a person with a weapon, you should take cover as quickly as possible, close doors behind you, and take cover under furniture, etc. If you are outside a building, try to move away from the situation as quickly as possible and take cover. Call 911 as soon as you have access to a phone.
5. Fill out an Incident Report form (S25.20.7) and forward it, within 24 hours, as directed. Obtain the report online or by calling 509.358.7994. Immediately report accidents that result in death, serious injury (e.g., fracture, amputation) or in-patient hospitalization of WSU personnel or third parties. This applies to all personnel at the Riverpoint Campus, including WSU Spokane, EWU, Sirti, and Sirti tenants.