Riverpoint Tobacco-Free Campus PolicyEffective Date: May 2012
1. No Tobacco UseIn order to create an atmosphere that is consistent with WSU Spokane's vision statement for a creative, engaged, world-class learning enterprise for the twenty-first century that helps design healthy lives, institutions and environments, WSU Spokane prohibits the use and sale of tobacco products in or on the Riverpoint campus premises.
2. DefinitionsFor the purposes of this policy, the following words and phrases shall mean:
A. Tobacco Products: Cigarettes, cigars, pipes, hookah, all forms of smokeless tobacco, electronic cigarettes, clove cigarettes and other alternative products made primarily with tobacco.
B. Premises: All buildings, grounds, state owned vehicles and equipment (motor pool, maintenance) including, but not limited to, parking lots, bus stops, city owned and WSU maintained streets or sidewalks within the WSU Riverpoint campus.
3. ResourcesWSU Spokane is committed to assist employees, students, patients, visitors and others, regardless of institutional affiliation in the Riverpoint campus community who use tobacco. WSUS may make available to such persons resources intended to assist persons who use tobacco.
4. Communication and ComplianceA. The following persons are responsible for ensuring that this policy is communicated to employees, students, visitors and others in the WSU Spokane Riverpoint community:
- Human Resources regarding employees
- Student Affairs regarding students and room/event scheduling
- Academic department leads regarding other visitors
- Communications Office for events with external visitors
- Facilities Use for outside vendors working on campus
- Chancellor's Office regarding partner institutions
B. Each of the above responsible persons may establish procedures and protocols, consistent with each other and this policy, designed to eliminate tobacco use from campus, increase compliance and to assist tobacco users in availing themselves of tobacco dependency treatment options.
C. Any exception to this policy requires the written approval of the Chancellor.
5. SanctionsEfforts will be made to eliminate the need for sanctions by first informing employees, students and visitors of the policy before they arrive and by providing appropriate information and care while they are on WSU Spokane premises. Any person who repeatedly violates this policy may be asked to leave the premises and/or may be removed. Employees may be subject to corrective or disciplinary action and other sanctions available to enforce this policy.
Signs declaring WSU Spokane as "tobacco-free" shall be posted at the campus entries and other conspicuous places.
7. Disclosure of Policy and InformationA. All faculty and staff are encouraged to assist in the implementation and enforcement of this policy by making tobacco product users aware of the requirements of this policy.
B. Employees, students and visitors will be advised of this policy in a manner determined by the above-described responsible persons.
C. Persons with concerns and suggestions about the implementation or enforcement of this policy may call the WSU Spokane Chancellor's Office.
**This policy does not intend to impede on IRB research projects. IRB-approved research projects are exempt from this policy.