Report an accident »

Remember to inform the safety committee of the incident by forwarding a copy of the report to Norene Phillipson, Facilities Operations.

Chemical Spills

Call Chad Trent (509-368-6699) or Campus Security (509-358-7995).
Call 509-358-7994 to obtain an accident report form. 

If you have any questions concerning an environmental health and safety concern, contact Chad Trent (509-368-6699) or chad.trent@wsu.edu.

Avoiding Accidents 

Too often, the safety precautions that seem to be "common sense" can and do give way to our desires to complete a task, peer pressure, and our mental and physical state. That temporary loss of common sense can cause accidents. Accidents may also occur that are totally beyond our control—but they do require our coping skills and survival ability.

Supervisors, consider having a tailgate safety meeting with your staff where you list off what types of accidents they may be exposed to while on the job.


Facilities Operations continually explores and implements conservation measures to help reduce energy use and costs. 

Besides our efforts to minimize energy consumption, we ask the campus community for their ongoing support and assistance as it pertains to heating and cooling building spaces. Our goal is to maintain a comfortable working environment while meeting the goals of conservation. 

If the temperatures in your office and/or classroom are not adequate, please call Facilities Operations at 358-7994 or email spok.fac.maint@wsu.edu as adjustments can be made within the heating and cooling systems. However, if we are unable to adjust a specific office/area to within proper parameters, a departmental purchase of an energy approved heating device may be authorized. Websites/links are available upon request.


We currently recycle plastic bottles, cans, ink cartridges, batteries, and paper in all buildings on the WSU Spokane Campus.

Acceptable plastic

  • Clean, empty containers—must be thoroughly rinsed out
  • Caps or lids removed
  • No straws
  • #1 plastic or clear #2 plastic containers (number located on bottom of container)


Each building has a receptacle to put the batteries in on the loading dock.

Ink cartridges

The CTR (Commute Trip Reduction) program is handling the ink cartridge recycling in various workrooms around the campus. Look for this box to put your used ink cartridges and used cell phones in.

Acceptable paper

  • Newspaper
  • Magazines
  • Phone Books
  • Computer Paper
  • Fax Paper
  • Paper Bags
  • Junk Mail
  • Brochures
  • Sticky notes
  • Ledger Paper
  • Corrugated Cardboard (remove all packing materials)

What we recycle in an average school year:

  • 740 lbs of cardboard per week
  • 590 gallons of mixed paper per week
  • 100 lbs of cans per month

Unacceptable items

  • Pizza Boxes
  • Chip Board (cereal boxes, soda can boxes, envelope boxes)
  • Tissue
  • Catalogs (no binding)
  • Carbon Paper
  • Hard Cover or Paperback Books (no binding)
  • Shipping and Mailing Tubes
  • Transparencies
  • Poster Board
  • Towels
  • Paper Contaminated with Food
  • Waxed Paper or Waxed Cardboard
  • Garbage
  • Plastic Shopping Bags
  • Foam
  • Shredded Paper




Be Crimson

Washington State University seeks to provide an exemplary teaching, research, and outreach environment that fosters the conservation of natural resources, supports and enhances social responsibility, addresses community and economic development, and follows environmental, social, and economic practices.

Read the WSU Regional Campuses Climate Action Plan (PDF)


Chemical substance report form (CSRF) »

Hard copy (PDF) - Use this version if you want to hand write in the information. 

Chemical substance report form.xls (CSRF) »

E-mail copy.  Use this version if you want to complete the form on your computer.
Chemical substance report form (CSRF) example (PDF) - Need assistance in filling out this form?  Click here for an example.

Dangerous waste label - small version »

Use this label on a waste container that is the original container of the material.  Original containers have all the information needed on them except the date and waste inventory number which the small label provides a place to do that.

Dangerous waste label - large version »

Use this label on a hazardous waste that is not in the original container.

Universal waste label »

Electronic waste label »

Neon green label ordering protocol (pdf) »

All research chemical waste should be designated and approved by the Lab safety manager for correct disposal.
All other chemical and industrial waste should be referred to the EH&S Coordinator or Facilities Management.