PERSON WITH WEAPON OR GUN
If you observe someone with a weapon, call 911 immediately and then call Campus Safety/Security at (509) 358-7995.
If you observe someone who you believe might be in possession of a weapon, call Campus Safety/Security. Trust your instincts and do the following:
1. Observe at a distance and remember or jot down unique or significant information available to you.
2. Be prepared to provide the following information to the police department and Campus Safety/Security:
- A description of the person you are viewing.
- Distinguishing characteristics, such as a mustache, earrings, tattoos, or scars.
- A detailed description of the clothing worn by the person.
- A description of the person's mode of transportation and license plate number, if available.
- A description of the weapon seen and how it was seen or used or why you believe the person may be involved.
- A description of the parties involved.
3. Under no circumstances should you confront a person you believe is armed. Do not look the person directly in the eye.
4. If you are in harm's way of a person with a weapon, you should take cover as quickly as possible, close doors behind you, and take cover under furniture, etc. If you are outside a building, try to move away from the situation as quickly as possible and take cover. Call 911 as soon as you have access to a phone.
5. Fill out an Incident Report form (S25.20.7) and forward it, within 24 hours, as directed. Obtain the report online or by calling (509) 358-7994. Immediately report accidents that result in death, serious injury (e.g., fracture, amputation) or in-patient hospitalization of WSU personnel or third parties. This applies to all personnel at the Riverpoint Campus, including WSU Spokane, EWU, Sirti, and Sirti tenants.
Campus Alert Line:
509-358-7760 or 509-358-7994