Curricular practical training
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows eligible F-1 students the opportunity for paid internships and employment integral to their major fields of study. Your international student advisor—not Immigration Services—authorizes CPT.
- CPT employment must be a supervised, temporary position.
- CPT can be part-time (less than 20 hours per week) or full-time (more than 20 hours per week).
You must meet all of the following requirements:
- Have lawful F-1 status; be lawfully enrolled, on a full-time basis, for at least one full academic year prior to the proposed CPT start date. Graduate students enrolled in a program that requires immediate participation in CPT are exempted from this requirement.
- Major in a field of study that requires the proposed internship or employment.
- Have a job offer.
- Meet CPT eligibility (PDF)
When to apply
You must apply and be authorized for CPT in advance. Allow one to two weeks for CPT processing.
- Discuss CPT eligibility with your academic advisor and international student advisor.
- If CPT is appropriate to your program, obtain a CPT packet from the international student advisor.
- Secure a CPT job.
- Have your academic advisor complete the academic advisor recommendation form.
- Have your employer complete the employment confirmation form or write a letter verifying your CPT job.
- Drop these forms off at the Student Affairs office (SAC 130).
- After you are authorized for CPT in SEVIS, we will contact you about picking up a new I-20.
- You are authorized to be employed only at the employer and for the period specified on page three of your new I-20.
After twelve or more months of full-time CPT, you become ineligible for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) at the same educational level.
Part-time CPT does not affect your eligibility for post-completion OPT; however, you must continue full-time enrollment unless you are doing CPT during the summer vacation.
You must obtain a new authorization in advance if you wish to change employers or extend your CPT.
Academic Center, 130