Questions to Ask of a Potential Landlord
- How much is rent?
- When is rent due and what form of payment do you accept?
- What does the cost of rent include? Utilities (gas, water,
electricity)? Telephone? Cable?
- Do you have a list of local utility, telephone, and cable
- Landlords will often call utilities companies and switch the
utilities to your name: verify whether or not you need to handle
- Is there a security deposit required? Is it refundable?
- Whom do I call for emergency repairs?
- How long is the lease for?
- Is there a penalty for breaking the lease?
- Does the lease automatically renew or will I need to request a
- How much notice do you need before I vacate the apartment?
- Can I rent month-to-month after the lease expires?
- Is it on a bus line?
- Is parking available? Carport, garage, lot, on-street?
- Is there an additional charge for parking?
- Are pets allowed? Is there a size limit? Do you require a pet
deposit? Is it refundable?
- Are there storage facilities? Is there an additional
- Is there a laundry facility in the complex?
- How, when, and where do I dispose of trash?
- Where is the nearest grocery store?
- About how far is the apartment from downtown?