Maintaining F-1 status
If you have questions about maintaining your immigration status, contact Liz West, your international student advisor (SAC 130; email@example.com or 509.358.7534).
In order for you to stay temporarily in the U.S. as a lawful F-1 student, you must comply with specific Department of Homeland Security regulations, listed below (not an exhaustive list). This is referred to as "maintaining status" or "being in status." In addition to making normal progress toward completing a course of study at WSU, you must:
- Enroll full-time during fall and spring semesters at WSU. Full-time enrollment means twelve semester credits for undergraduates and ten semester credits for graduate students. Audited classes do not count toward the full course of study.
- Do not enroll for more than the equivalent of one online or distance education class (or three credits) per semester as part of the “full-time” course load requirement.
- Keep your passport valid at all times.
- Complete your degree or request a program extension prior to the program end date specified on your I-20.
- Comply with required procedures for a school transfer.
- Obtain a new I-20 for changes in your major, educational level, or source of funding.
- Obtain appropriate employment authorization for any work; do not work on-campus for more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.
- Update your current residential U.S. address via zzusis within ten days of any change.
- Depart the United States within 60 days following completion of your program or a regular semester or session. Depart the U.S. within fifteen days if you cancel enrollment in the middle of a semester.
- Disclose fully and truthfully all information requested by the DHS.
- Obey all federal and state laws that prohibit the commission of crimes of violence.
If you fail to comply with any of the above regulations, you will be considered out of status. Subsequently, your status violation will be reported to the DHS via SEVIS, and you will be ineligible for any immigration benefits.
Academic Center 130