Reduced course load
You may enroll part-time during fall and spring semesters and still maintain lawful F-1 status if you are authorized for a reduced course load (RCL). RCL may be granted for the following reasons:
- Valid academic reasons verified by your academic advisor.
- Documented medical conditions.
- Concurrent enrollment.
- Full-time curricular practical training.
- Enrollment in the final semester of study prior to degree completion.
- Enrollment in thesis credits by graduate students who have completed all required courses. For immigration purposes, this is considered pursuit of a full course of study.
You must obtain an RCL authorization from your international student advisor prior to falling below the full course of study during fall and spring semesters. Unauthorized part-time enrollment is a violation of your status, which will be reported to the DHS.
To request an RCL authorization, you must meet with an international student advisor to determine your eligibility.
Academic Center 130