Steps to graduation
For Masters & Doctoral students
To be eligible to graduate and receive your diploma, complete these steps:
- Apply for your masters degree or doctoral degree at least one semester before your final exam is scheduled. The Graduate School will then notify you of any final graduation requirements before enrolling for your last semester. The non-refundable $50 processing fee is paid online when you complete the application.
- There is an additional $75 microfilming fee and an optional $45 copyright fee for doctoral students. These can be paid in the Student Affairs Office. Be sure to keep the receipt, which you will submit it to the graduate school along with your thesis or dissertation.
- Schedule your final oral exam. After your thesis is complete, your committee should submit the final examination scheduling form to the Graduate School, which will then schedule your final examination.
- Submit your thesis/dissertation to the Graduate School, making sure that it is formatted in accordance with the Graduate School formatting guidelines. Doctoral students should check the Graduate School’s website for other forms that should be submitted along with your dissertation, including the Copyright Acknowledgement, Dissertation Agreement, and Survey of Earned Doctorates.
- Update your address in zzusis. Your diploma will be mailed to your permanent home mailing address after degrees have been conferred, approximately two months following your graduation date. Make sure that you notify the Graduate School immediately if your address changes during that time.
Click here for complete list of Graduate School Forms and Guidelines.