• HB 1079
  • FAQ


HB 1079

HB 1079 students have limited eligibility for financial aid. The following pages are dedicated to providing relevant information to ensure all students receive the maximum amount of assistance possible.

On May 7, 2003, House Bill (HB) 1079 was signed into law by Governor Gary Locke. This new law allows students who have lived in Washington State for three years or more to be considered “residents” but only for purposes of paying tuition fees at Washington colleges and universities. HB 1079 does not change a student’s legal citizenship status. The new law means that HB1079 students qualify to pay tuition rates that all other resident students pay. To qualify, students must have: earned a high school diploma or equivalent (GED) from a Washington State high school; lived in Washington State for three years prior to receiving a high school diploma or GED, and lived continually in Washington since earning the high school diploma or GED, and can meet college or university admission requirements expected of all other students.

The Affidavit that HB1079 Students are required to sign is a confidential statement verifying that he/she qualifies to pay resident tuition, and that he/she will seek legal permanent residency when legally permitted to do so. If an Affidavit is not provided or available, the 1079 Student should ask a trusted relative, friend, teacher, or counselor to request it from the institution he/she plans to attend, or the Affidavit is available on our website here.

To enroll in college a student must go through the following steps:

  1. Complete the admission and scholarship applications from the college or university the student plans to attend.
  2. Fill out and sign the Affidavit. This should be available at any public highschool, college or university in the state.
  3. Submit the admission and scholarship applications, and Affidavit to the college/university by the deadline stated by the institution.


University Achievement Award

Students must complete and submit admission application materials by January 31st. Eligibility is based on HS GPA, SAT or ACT test scores, and courses a student completed. Please use the UAA online calculator to see if you qualify.

Access and Opportunity Scholarship

Incoming HB1079 students with a high school GPA of 3.5 or better can be considered for this scholarship. There are two levels of awards ($3,000 and $5,000) and it’s a competitive scholarship. Students are required to complete the Admissions application and Scholarship application by January 31st. In addition HB1079 students need to complete the affidavit form with Admissions linked here »

Future Cougar of Colors (FCOC)

FCOC is both a visitation and scholarship program. Awards are made at the $1,000 and $3,000 level. Registration for the event opens in early January, 2010. Please visit http://admission.wsu.edu/scholarships/fcoc/ for more information.

Miscellaneous University Scholarships

Students completing the Scholarship Application are automatically considered for other university scholarships. The criteria vary according to the donor. Apply on-line: https://www.applyweb.com/apply/wsuschol »

Outside Scholarship Sites

HB 1079 Friendly Research Sites:

Latino College Dollars-www.latinocollegedollars.org »

Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund-
http://www.maldef.org/education/scholarships.htm »

Aspira Association, Inc.-http://www.aspira.org/manuals/scholarships »

Western Union Foundation’s Family Scholarship Program-http://corporate.westernunion.com/scholarship.html »

Consejo de Federaciones Mexicanas en Norteamérica-
http://www.cofem.org/ »

Patsy Takemoto Mink Education Foundation- http://www.patsyminkfoundation.org/ »

Private Donor and Endowed Scholarships-
http://finaid.wsu.edu/scholar/PrivDonor.html »

Free Scholarship Search Sites:

The WashBoard.org- http://www.thewashboard.org/login.aspx »

CollegeBoard- http://apps.collegeboard.com/cbsearch_ss/welcome.jsp »

FinAid-http://www.finaid.org/scholarships/ »

SallieMae- http://go.salliemae.com/pay_scholarship_search/ »

College Tool Kit-
http://scholarships.collegetoolkit.com/scholarship/main.aspx »

College NET- http://www.collegenet.com/elect/app/app »

Super College-
http://www.supercollege.com/scholarships/scholarships.cfm »

Broke Scholar- https://www.brokescholar.com/ »

Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute- http://www.chciyouth.org/ »


Who are the HB1079?

A student is considered HB1079 if: he/she is not a legal permanent resident; does not possess a green card, visa, or other legal documentation, including those born outside of the United States. Many of whom have lived in this country for a significant portion of their lives, and who reside here without the legal permission of the government.

Do HB1079 students qualify for financial aid?

Students with this status do not qualify for federal or Washington state government student aid.

Who is eligible for aid from Title IV programs?

A student must be a citizen or eligible non-citizen to be eligible for aid from Title IV Programs. This includes: U.S. Citizen or national; U.S. permanent resident; Citizens of certain pacific islands; Other eligible non-citizens (residents, fugitives, asylums, etc).

Can a HB1079 person fill out the FAFSA?

Anyone can complete the FAFSA. However, in order to qualify the applicant must possess a valid Social Security Number (SSN). This information is used to verify an applicant's citizenship status but also other information (i.e. Selective Service record, tax return information, etc.).

When you are filling out the FAFSA:

  • if parent(s) has no legitimate SSN, should supply all zeros.
  • if parent(s) worked, must supply income and asset information. IRS provision allows HB1079 workers to file by applying for a tax identification number (TIN) for tax return filing purposes only (IRS Publication 519).
  • Dependency Override (i.e. students seeking to complete a FAFSA without parental information): Can not be performed solely on basis that the parent is HB1079.
  • PLUS/Additional Unsubsidized Eligibility: A dependent student may be eligible if there are exceptional circumstances that preclude the parent from borrowing .

States That Grant Resident Tuition Regardless of Citizenship Status


  • The law broadened state residency to include all graduates of TX HSs (or individuals that receive the equivalent thereof from TX), regardless of immigration status, who are enrolled in a state college/university, have resided in TX for 3 or more years, and who sign an affidavit promising to file an application to become a permanent resident at the earliest possible opportunity.
  • http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/PDF/1528.PDF?CFID=5650230&CFTOKEN=49073076 »



  • This law allows all students to be eligible for in-state tuition rates if the student attended a UT HS for 3 or more years, graduated from a UT HS or received an equivalent degree in UT, registers as an entering student at a college/university after the fall of 2002-03, and if the student is undocumented, files an affidavit promising to file an application to become a permanent resident as early as possible.
  • http://www.cppa.utah.edu/publications/higher_ed/Policy_Brief_2_13_07_In-state_Tuition.pdf »

New York

  • This law permits all students, regardless of immigration status, to have in-state tuition rates if the student attended a NY HS for 2 or more years, applied to attend a NY city or NY state college/university within 5 years of receiving a HS diploma or the equivalent thereof (issued in NY) and if the student signs an affidavit promising to file an application to become an LPR as soon as possible.
  • http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/DREAM/TABLE_State_Leg_Imm_Higher-Ed.PDF »


  • Would qualify an individual who is not a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. to be classified as an IL resident for tuition purposes if the individual resided with his or her guardian while attending an IL HS, graduated from an accredited IL HS or achieved the equivalent thereof, attended such HS for 3 years preceding the graduation, registers as an entering student no sooner than Fall 2003 and provides an affidavit stating that the individual will file an application to become an LPR as soon as eligible to do so.
  • http://www.niu.edu/Admissions/freshman/Undocumented%20Students.pdf »


  • Would permit immigrant students, regardless of status, to be eligible for enrollment at an OK institute of higher learning and be eligible for classification as an OK resident if the student attended an OK HS for at least 2 consecutive years and graduated from such HS. Would also make financial aid and scholarships accessible for such students.
  • http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/DREAM/TABLE_State_Leg_Imm_Higher-Ed.PDF »


  • Would permit students, regardless of immigration status, to obtain in-state tuition rates if they attended and graduated from a KS HS or received a GED certificate issued within KS, and have lived in KS for a period of at least 3 years immediately preceding the acceptance to an institution of higher learning.
  • http://kansasstatutes.lesterama.org/Chapter_76/Article_7/76-731a.html »


http://www.northeastcollege.com/PS/Admissions/Residency/undocumented_student_bill.pdf »

New Mexico


January 1: Available Free Application for Federal Student Aid (Free Application for Federal Student Aid, FAFSA). http://www.fafsa.ed.gov »

January 31: Deadline for completing the scholarship application. http://apply.wsu.edu »

February 15: Priority date to request FAFSA.


Liz West
Academic Center,130
Telephone: 509.358.7534
E-mail: liz.west@wsu.edu

Student Affairs Office Hours
M-F, 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM

FAFSA code: 003800