F-1 students may enroll at two schools approved by the Department of Homeland Security at the same time, as long as the combined number of credits meets the minimum requirement for maintaining their status. You must enroll for at least half of your credits at the school from which you hold an I-20.

WSU Spokane undergraduate students sometimes need courses not offered here. They may need to take the appropriate classes from local community colleges, while also attending WSU Spokane (concurrent enrollment).

Academic advisors can assist students in determining the need for additional courses not offered at WSU Spokane. Both the student and the academic advisor should complete the concurrent enrollment form (pdf) and submit it to Kristie Brink (SAC 130; kkclark@wsu.edu or 509.358.7963).



Your passport must be valid at least six months into the future. Report a lost or stolen passport to the police, as your home country's government may require a police report before issuing a new passport.

To renew or replace your passport, contact your country's consulate in the U.S.

F-1 visa stamp

An F-1 visa stamp placed on your passport by a U.S. consular official indicates that you are eligible to enter or reenter the United States as an F-1 student. It does not determine the length of your stay in the United States.

If your F-1 visa expires while you are in the U.S., you do not need to renew it as long as you remain in the country. You may secure a visa only at a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the United States.

Form I-20: Certificate of eligibility

The U.S. school you attend issues your I-20, which allows you to:

  • Apply for an F-1 visa.
  • Enter or reenter the U.S. to pursue your studies.
  • Receive other immigration benefits.

The I-20 lists recent events, such as employment authorization. The I-20 must remain valid at all times throughout your study.

You must request a new I-20 prior to the expiration date listed in item number five. You must keep every I-20 issued to you for your permanent record. Do not discard old I-20s.

To reenter the U.S. to resume your studies at WSU after a temporary absence abroad (not exceeding five months), you must obtain a travel endorsement from the international student advisor on page three of your I-20 form.

I-94 departure record

The I-94 is a small white card, usually stapled into your passport by an immigration official at the port of entry. This card and a valid I-20 allow you to stay temporarily in the United States as an F-1 student.

The immigration official should indicate “F-1 D/S” on your I-94. D/S stands for duration of status and refers to the length of time an F-1 student is permitted to remain temporarily in the U.S. to pursue a full course of study.

Except for brief visits (30 days or less) to Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands, you are issued a new I-94 card with a new admission number each time you enter the U.S.

Saving documents

Keep all of your important documents in a safe place such as a secure location in your home or a bank safe-deposit box. The DHS requires your international student advisor to keep a copy of these documents in your student file. Provide her with a copy when you renew these documents.


You may enroll part-time during fall and spring semesters and still maintain lawful F-1 status if you are authorized for a reduced course load (RCL). RCL may be granted for the following reasons:

  • Valid academic reasons verified by your academic advisor.
  • Documented medical conditions.
  • Concurrent enrollment »
  • Full-time curricular practical training.
  • Enrollment in the final semester of study prior to degree completion.
  • Enrollment in thesis credits by graduate students who have completed all required courses. For immigration purposes, this is considered pursuit of a full course of study.

You must obtain an RCL authorization from your international student advisor prior to falling below the full course of study during fall and spring semesters. Unauthorized part-time enrollment is a violation of your status, which will be reported to the DHS.

To request an RCL authorization, you must meet with an international student advisor to determine your eligibility.


Temporary absence and reentry into the USA

Absences longer than five months require a new “initial attendance” I-20 and payment of SEVIS I-901 fee. This constitutes beginning a new F-1 program. Students become ineligible for any off-campus employment (such as OPT or CPT) until they enroll full-time for one academic year.

Documents required for reentry

In order to reenter the U.S. after a temporary absence (not exceeding five months) you must carry the following documents:

  • Valid Passport.
  • Valid F-1 visa stamp. This is not required for trips to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands that last less than 30 days.
  • Valid I-20, with a travel endorsement from your international student advisor. An F-1 student who is out of status must have a new “initial attendance” I-20.
  • Evidence of adequate finances.
  • A copy of your WSU transcript and current course schedule (optional).

Travel endorsements

To travel outside of the country and reenter the U.S. as an F-1 student, you must have a valid I-20 endorsed by an international student advisor. F-1 students may need a new I-20 if they have failed to maintain status.

F-1 students must obtain the travel endorsement from the international student advisor in the Student Affairs office (SAC 130). Bring the following documents to request an endorsement:

Allow one week for processing. A travel signature remains valid for one year from its issue date. However, you are advised to obtain a new endorsement if the previous one is more than six months old.

F-2 dependent travel

Dependents with F-2 status generally need the same documents to reenter the U.S. as the primary F-1 student. Be sure to obtain an endorsement on the dependent I-20 in order to reenter the U.S.
Dependents are not required to travel with the primary F-1 student. Additionally, dependents may remain in the U.S. without the primary F-1 student as long as the F-1 student maintains his or her current status and will return after a temporary absence (generally 30 days or less) using the same SEVIS identification number.

Trips to Mexico, Canada, and adjacent islands*

To facilitate entry into Canada or Mexico as a visitor, you must carry all the documents listed above except for a valid F-1 visa stamps (for some students). Additionally, a visitor's visa may be required, depending on your country of citizenship.

*Caribbean islands, with the exception of Cuba.

Visitor's visa to Canada and Mexico

F-1 students or their dependents who plan to travel to Canada or Mexico should contact the appropriate consulate offices to determine whether a visitor's visa is needed prior to traveling.

Reentering the United States from Canada on an expired F-1 visa

If their trips do not exceed 30 days, many students may travel to Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands and reenter the U.S. on an expired F-1 visa (referred to as automatic revalidation). Citizens of Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Sudan, North Korea, and Cuba are not eligible for this benefit and must possess a valid F-1 visa to enter or reenter the U.S. at all times.

Automatic revalidation—or entry on expired visa—does not apply when a student applies for a new F-1 visa and is denied in Canada or Mexico.

Applying for a new F-1 visa

To request permission to reenter the U.S. from outside of North America, you must have a valid F-1 visa in your passport. A U.S. visa can only be obtained outside the United States at a U.S. embassy or consulate, preferably in your home country.


Effective September 1, 2004: Unless exempted, potential non-immigrants who are initially issued an I-20 to begin a new program (on or after September 1, 2004) must pay the SEVIS fee prior to obtaining their visa (if a visa is required) for entering the United States.

Generally this fee does not apply to students who have maintained their current F-1 immigration status and are continuing their program of study.

Government information about the SEVIS I-901 fee.

US-VISIT program

The US-VISIT program operates at most U.S. airports and seaports. Foreign visitors to the United States are tracked through the use of biometrics (measurable, physical characteristics that facilitate recognition).

When F-status students and the dependents enter the U.S., immigration officers continue to review travel documents such as passports, SEVIS I-20, or visas. Additionally, officials take both the non-immigrants' fingerprints (with an ink-free fingerprint scanner) and a digital photograph of their face.

When non-immigrants depart the United States, they must "check out" at an exit kiosk at the port of departure. The exit procedures have not been fully implemented. Kiosks and attendants are available at some major U.S. ports; at these ports, non-immigrants are expected to complete the exit procedures.

Special registration (NSEERS)

Nonimmigrant aliens previously required by NSEERS to submit to special registration procedures and depart from specified ports are relieved of these obligations.

Effective April 28, 2011, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), through a notice in the Federal Register, eliminated the requirement that nationals from the following countries register in the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS): Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen.

Notice in the Federal Register:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-04-28/pdf/2011-10305.pdf »


Kristie Brink
Academic Center, 130
Telephone: 509.358.7963
E-mail: kkclark@wsu.edu