University Center for Innovation
The University Center for Innovation provides technical assistance and applied research to new businesses and to those who have great ideas and would like to create new businesses.
The Center will work with WSU employees and students as well as individuals and businesses in the state of Washington.
Services are free to all clients and offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Consultation takes from a few weeks to a few months depending upon the amount of research and development of ideas that is needed.
- In-person and online consulting with clients
- Value Proposition Development: take an idea and translate it into a statement of value delivered to customers
- Business Model Generation: design business models using the Business Model Canvas approach
- Testing: Design business hypotheses to test against market data
- Data: Provide market research (market size, demographics) to refute or support business hypotheses and evaluate options
- What is the story? Develop a narrative business model that serves as the outline to a business plan
- What’s the plan? Guide the development of a business plan when one is needed
About the Center
The University Center is funded by the Economic Development Administration with a matching contribution from WSU Spokane.
Center clients talk to local NPR affiliate about the services in these short news clips:
- Fine Grounds: Spokane couple creates a coffee ordering app
- Glucose Revival: Fairchild firefighter develops glucose necklace for diabetes
- Winescape Cellars: WSU couple find new excitement in making wine
- Inland Journal: Spokane’s Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
- Inland Journal: Spokane Inventor Markets Glucose Necklace
- Startup Spokane podcast: ‘Spokane Talks’ online
- WSU Spokane magazine: Innovation Center serves as startup incubator
- Greater Spokane Incorporated: Mentor Connect trains the next generation of Spokane businesses