Program of Laboratory Animal Resources (PLAR)
All animals must be acquired lawfully. The receiving institution should ensure that all procedures involving animal procurement are conducted in a lawful manner. To order animals from an approved vendor:
- Submit a completed Animal Order Form to the appropriate Purchasing Department to obtain a PO#
- The Purchasing Department will submit the Animal Order Form and PO# to PLAR. This information needs to be completed by the end of day Wednesday
- PLAR places orders on Thursday morning. This allows the vendor time to verify that the order can be filled or if alternative ages or weights are available.
- Animals are received the following week on either Tuesday (Charles River, JAX) or Wednesday (Envigo). The boxes are delivered directly to the vivaria.
- PLAR husbandry staff will unbox the animals and verify their health status. The PI is then notified of the arrival of the animals and any problems. PLAR Management will address the problems with the vendor.
- Animals must be allowed to acclimate for a minimum of 3 days.
A MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT is required to obtain from or send animals to other universities:
- Two forms are required: the Exchange of Non-Commercial Animals Form is required by PLAR; the second form is required by the Technology Transfer Office (go to Office of Research Support and Operations).
- The veterinarian will assist with the completion of the Technology Transfer form. When that form is complete, submit it to the Grants and Contracts Manager, ORSO.
- Based on the information provided in the Exchange of Non-Commercial Form, the veterinarian will contact the other university to exchange health reports and to determine the requirements for receiving/shipping animals.
- Depending on the health status of incoming animals, it may be necessary to have the animals delivered to Pullman for rederivation.
- The cost of shipping and rederivation is the responsibility of the Principal Investigator.