The Wellness Collaborative would like to highlight a few individuals who are making a difference on our campus

• Wellness Activities in Action: Stephane Bisignani, Tina Bright, Azra Rasic & Joshua Temple, College of Medicine
  • Colleague Spotlight: Cathy Engel, College of Nursing

Walking Group

What is the new activity/habit and what inspired the start of it?
We go up and down the four flights of stairs (some days we add the 5th floor and basement) about three times a day or more. We were inspired by Stephane’s new pedometer because we enjoyed seeing her steps increase.

Where are you now and what is your goal?
I have been doing the two mile walks during the lunch hour and now have added the stairs to help with training for Bloomsday. Now that I have a pedometer, I have a “step goal” that I try to reach every day. Some days I make it, some I don’t. However, my goal is to be more active and reach higher step goals each day. Together we aspire to do the stairs once per hour within the next month.  We’re located on the 4th floor, so that is quite a walk!

How do you keep yourself accountable?
As a group we keep each other accountable. Honestly there are some days I am tired and don’t feel like doing the stairs but we keep each other going. It really helps to do these things with other people

What should others know about implementing this habit into their daily life if they are interested?
It does not take as much time as you think it will!  The reason I was hesitant at first is that I thought it would take a good 30 minutes out of my entire day to do this more than once a day. However, it only takes us about five minutes, and if we can do it most people probably can too!

image

Colleague Spotlight

Cathy Engel—Fiscal Specialist Supervisor

What is your department/location on campus
I work in the Business and Finance Office for the College of Nursing in Spokane

How long have you worked for WSU?
I started with the College of Nursing in January 2014

Can you tell us a bit about your background?
Prior to coming to WSU/the College of Nursing, I spent more than 25 years in health care materials management – purchasing, contracts, inventory, budgets. I started out at Deaconess Medical Center and had the pleasure of also working at Shriner’s Hospital for Children. In 2005, we purchased a home on Diamond Lake. I was fortunate to be able to work for Newport Hospital & Health Services after about a year of commuting to Spokane. While at NHHS my role as a buyer evolved into my main focus being to identifying cost savings. I was selected to serve as a member of a national group purchasing organization, which was responsible for awarding contracts. I also presented at the national convention in Washington D.C. on efficiencies and contract compliance efforts I implemented. In 2012, I earned my CMRP (Certified Materials Resource Professional) designation.

We chose to move back to Spokane in 2013 to be closer to grandchildren and activities. I actually entertained the idea of not returning to work. After six months and more than a few home projects, a former colleague that had gone to work for WSU in Pullman encouraged me to apply and here I am. My husband says that if I did not work outside the home, he would never rest for all the projects I dream up! He is retired and loves his quiet days.

What do you enjoy about your job?
I’ve always loved a challenge and learning new things. My prior positions worked very closely with the accounting office, but I was “on the other side” – I spent money and someone else paid the bills! I feel I’ve been able to use my skills here at the College of Nursing and I needed to learn not only higher education but also leverage my knowledge of the world of finance. The Business and Finance Office does so many different aspects of accounting. We handle budgets, accounts payable and receivable, travel, inventory, deposits, grants, payroll…..it’s endless. We get to make contact with a wide variety of staff and faculty in many capacities as well as outside contacts while representing WSU/The College of Nursing.

Where are you from?
I was born in Spokane. After a short stint in California when I was young, my parents returned to Spokane. I spent a few years in Dallas, Texas in my early twenties. Like my parents, I came home too.

What are some of your hobbies and interests?
When we moved from Diamond Lake before I retired, I joked with my husband that there better be water in the backyard. True to his word, we have a pool and that is my relaxation in the summer. I love entertaining our family and friends who join us on warm summer days. We even do “Dive-In Movies” after dark. I hibernate during the cold months and, never one to sit still for too long, find projects for my husband and I to tackle. I love to travel, read, bake, and do a few crafts.

By: Crystal Lederhos