Butternut squash has been my go-to vegetable for my family these past few months. It doesn’t make a huge mess to prep, I can incorporate it easily into so many dishes my family loves and it alone can be a great side dish that is easy to throw together. Not to mention, 1 cup of it alone has more Vitamin A than a carrot does, and more potassium than in a single banana. While I usually enjoy it simply roasted, this is a new fun way for me to mix it up while keeping it simple.

Makes: 5 servings

Ingredients:

• 1 Butternut Squash, peeled, gutted and cut into 1″ cubes
  • 1 Tbs of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
  • 3 Tbs of Unsalted Butter
  • 2 Tbs of Maple Syrup
  • Seasoning of your choice (I like “Fresh Plate” seasoning from “The Spiceologist” – it’s fresh and you can buy it locally)

Instructions:

• Heat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking pan with aluminum foil
  • After prepping your butternut squash (see above), toss your cubes with olive oil and seasoning of your choice on the lined pan
  • Roast until soft, this should take approximately 30 – 40 minutes
  • Once soft, let cool for a few minutes then place in an immersion blender or food processor with butter and maple syrup and puree until smooth
  • Serve immediately

Tip: if you don’t eat butter or are trying to cut down on your fat, try substituting with olive oil.

Nutritional Information: Calories 228 / Protein 3 g / Total Fat 10 g / Carbohydrates 37 g / Dietary Fiber 5 g / Total Sugars 11 g / Added Sugars 5 g / Potassium 977 mg