A common phrase I hear a lot and have found to be true with myself, is you crave produce that is in season. While winter time does have its downfalls to the variety of produce in the season, where it flourishes is in citrus. I could and am perfectly happy with having some version of orange every single day as my snack, however this method would not live up to the full potential of the fruit. This is a fun recipe that lets me use citrus in a different way, while also giving me a good serving of plant-based protein from the wonderful whole grain that quinoa is.

Makes: 5 Servings

Ingredients:

• 1 Cup Dry Quinoa
  • 2 Cups Water (or what packaged quinoa recommends)
  • 8 Satsumas
  • 4 Oranges, zested and juiced
  • 3 Red peppers, diced and roasted
  • 1 Bunch Parsley
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Instructions:

1. Rinse the dry quinoa and cook over the stove or in a rice cooker via the package instructions
  2. Dice the red peppers, discarding the stem and seeds, to 1/2 inch squares. Toss with a small amount of olive oil until lightly coated and roast in your oven until tips are lightly browned
  3. Allow the red peppers and quinoa to cool completely after cooking
  4. Peel the satsumas and half the sections, removing any sting left from the peel
  5. Whisk together the orange juice and zest, olive oil, salt and pepper
  6. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Can be served immediately or stored in the fridge for a healthy snack or side dish later in the week

Nutritional Information: Calories 615 / Protein 6 g / Carbohydrates 49 g / Dietary Fiber 6 g / Total Sugars 22 g / Added Sugars 0 g / Total Fat 46 g / Saturated Fat 6 g / Monounsaturated Fat 32 g / Polyunsaturated Fat 6 g

Tip: Make it easy on yourself and once everything is mixed, store in portioned size containers. It makes it easy for later in the week when you need a quick lunch!

Credit: The Fresh Plate