I originally found this recipe from a cookbook that was recommended to me by my Naturopath doctor, and so far it has been my favorite recipe in the whole book. This berry crumble is perfect by itself, with yogurt for a quick parfait, or even for dessert with vanilla ice cream! I have made it 3 weeks in a row now, and absolutely love having it in my food prep for the week. I have been using fresh berries most of the time since the strawberries and blueberries are coming out in stores again (yay!) but have substituted for frozen berries when I don’t have fresh. Try it out today for a fun, easy and healthy Valentines Day dessert you are sure to love!

Makes: 8 Servings

Ingredients:

• 3 Cups Strawberries, sliced
  • 3 Cups Blueberries
  • 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp Tapioca flour or Tapioca starch
  • 3/4 Cups Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
  • 1/2 Cup Almond flour or Almond meal
  • 1/2 Cup Raw Walnuts or Pecans, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp Ginger, ground
  • 1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt
  • 1/3 Cup grade B Maple Syrup
  • 1/4 Cup Virgin Coconut Oil, melted

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. For this recipe you can choose either an 8X8 baking dish, a 10″ skillet, or 6 small ramekins (ovenproof individual-serving bowls).
  2. Be sure to wash your fruit (if using fresh) and trim/slice the strawberries as needed.
  3. In a large bowl, toss the fruit, lemon juice and tapioca flour or starch. Spread the mixture on the bottom of whatever dish you are preparing it in.
  4. In the same bowl, whisk together the oats, almond flour or meal, nuts, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add the maple syrup and oil, stir everything to combine.
  5. Spread the oat mixture evenly over the berry mixture.
  6. Place in the center of the oven and bake until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling. This should take 25 to 30 minutes (20 if using ramekins). If the berries were frozen, add an extra 10 minutes.
  7. Serve warm or at room temperature. Try it with some yogurt or vanilla ice cream (we made some homemade vanilla ice cream with it and it was amazing!)

Credit: Run Fast Eat Slow (my new favorite cookbook!)

Nutritional Information: Calories 220 / Protein 3 g / Carbohydrates 22 g / Dietary Fiber 4 g / Total Sugars 15 g / Added Sugars 6 g / Total Fat 15 g / Saturated Fat 7 g / Monounsaturated Fat 5 g / Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g