I have never been the one to skip breakfast, no matter how late I am running. Although this can sometimes lead into some not so healthy options. Most breakfast items that are quick are either pastries, bagels or processed cereal.
Frittatas are the perfect solution to many breakfast failures. Once you make a batch, they are ready to take with you to eat on the run the rest of the week, they have a lot of flavor, are totally customizable and offer the energy you need to start your day off right. Feel free to experiment with different flavor combinations as well! Last week I used red pepper, swiss chard, potato, onion and ham. You can’t go wrong with these guys, so have fun with it!
- 12 Eggs
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 tsp Seasoning of Choice
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Large Sweet Potato, washed & diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 Cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 2 Cups Kale, chopped and loosely packed
- 2 Cup Mushrooms, washed and chopped
- Enough butter/oil to coat each muffin tin or non-stick spray
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare your muffin pan(s) by coating each muffin tin with butter/oil or a non-stick spray. You will need approximately 9 muffin tins.
- Crack all eggs into a large mixing bowl and add the heavy cream, cheese and dijon mustard. Whisk well and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tb of oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes, mushrooms and seasoning and cook for 10 minutes. The sweet potatoes should be lightly browned but not cooked all the way through. Add this veggie mix to your egg mixture.
- In the same pan, cook your kale until lightly wilted. This should take approximately 3 minutes. Once wilted add to the egg mixture.
- Spoon your egg mixture evenly into each muffin tin until filled. Try to get an even mixture of veggies to egg. Bake on the center rack in your oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is lightly golden. Careful not to burn it.
- Once done, take out and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or put in a Ziploc bag to store in freezer for busy mornings. Simply wrap in a paper towel and microwave until warm when you are ready to have them again.
Nutritional Information: Calories 320 / Protein 10 g / Carbohydrates 12 g / Dietary Fiber 2 g / Total Sugars 5 g / Total Fat 27 g / Saturated Fat 15 g / Monounsaturated Fat 8 g/ Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
Credit: The Fresh Plate