Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Current Students 

F-1 students may be eligible for employment while maintaining active F-1 status.

Employment is defined as any services rendered in exchange for money or other benefits or compensation.

  • Employment can be part-time or full-time;
  • This definition includes Self-Employment, and;
  • Any work for non-monetary benefits (e.g., free room and board in exchange for babysitting).

Training programs for F-1 students give you the chance to work in positions that are related to your studies.


Optional Practical Training (OPT)  enables you to work within your major area of study if you are an F-1 student;

  • Must be within your major field of study
  • Up to 12 months per educational level (e.g., bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, etc.).
  • You may be employed on and/or off-campus.
  • If you are in a STEM degree program, you may be eligible for a 24-month extension.


Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows you to engage in an internship or job that fulfills a requirement for practical and/or field experience in your major field of study. It will enable you to work in a supervised, temporary position.

  • Training is an integral part of an established curriculum.
  • You must have prior authorization to engage in any paid or unpaid internship.
  • CPT can be authorized for part-time (20 hours or less per week) or full-time (more than 20 hours per week).