The Veterans Scholarship
Based on a gift from Scott Carson, the Veterans Scholarship was established for WSU Spokane student veterans. The scholarship is based on academic achievement and demonstration of student leadership within their chosen health profession.
To be considered for the scholarship, applicants need to submit written responses addressing the applicant’s academic achievement and leadership within WSU or the community. Items to be included in the submission are:
- Completed Veterans Scholarship Application
- List of co-curricular and/or community volunteer activities
- Description of leadership roles at WSU or in volunteer activities.
- Responses to the following three application questions
- Explain your leadership philosophy and how you have put that philosophy into action whether on campus or in the community.
- What is the role of health providers in being community leaders? You can focus specifically on your chosen profession.
- Please describe your academic achievements.
- One recommendation letter that speaks to the applicant’s academic scholarship and leadership skills. The letter may come from a faculty or staff member or supervisor.
The Veterans Scholarship Application closes on March 4, 2022. This award is for the fall 2022 semester.
Full-time, enrolled undergraduate, graduate, or professional student veteran who will be enrolled at WSUS for the upcoming fall 2022 semester.
Equal Opportunity Consideration
WSU does not discriminate based on race, sex and/or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, marital status, genetic information, status as an honorably discharged veteran or member of the military, physical, mental or sensory disability including the use of a trained service animal, and immigration or citizenship status, except as authorized by federal or state law, regulation, or government contract.
All scholarship applicants are considered equally, based upon their merits and the strength of their application.
The WSUS Scholarship Committee will review all applications and select the award recipients. Applications and applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Completeness of application
- Response to three questions
- Letter of recommendation
- Plan to enroll in the fall semester
Contributions and commitments are not necessarily demonstrated by quantity of organizations or activities but can be shown by depth of work with a specific organization or activity.
Consists of faculty and staff from each college and campus representatives.
The committee will select three students who will each be awarded $1,000 credited to their WSU account. The funds will be credited once students are enrolled in the fall semester. Recipients who do not enroll in the fall semester, forfeit the award and the Scholarship Committee will decide if it goes to another applicant.
The awarded students will be expected to write a letter of gratitude to the donor who made the scholarships possible. Scholarship awards will not be posted to student accounts until thank you letters are received.
Scholarship recipients are recognized at the Chancellor’s Awards in April. Scholarships will be applied toward Fall 2022 tuition.
These are one-year, non-renewable awards. Recipients will be awarded the scholarship once and be ineligible to receive it in future years. Students who do not receive an award can apply again.
Please contact Logan Steele at firstname.lastname@example.org or 509-358-7749