Environmental Health and Safety
We currently recycle plastic bottles, cans, ink cartridges, batteries and paper in all buildings on the WSU Spokane Campus.
Blue Recycle Bins at Desks:
NOTE: Please keep food residue, used paper towels or kleenex, or other contaminants out of the recycle bins.
- Mixed paper (no staples, paper clips, or shredded paper, but window envelopes are fine)
- Plastic – clean/empty bottles with lid off (see “What is acceptable plastic” at bottom of page)
- Cans – clean/empty aluminum cans
Batteries may be recycled in the blue recycle bins in offices. If there is a large quantity of batteries or a battery is leaking, contact EH&S to coordinate pickup.
Toner Cartridges & Ink Cartridges
The CTR (Commute Trip Reduction) program is handling the ink cartridge recycling in various workrooms around the campus. Look for this box to put your used ink cartridges and used cell phones in.
- All toner cartridges must be placed in original or replacement packaging for recycling to save cost and prevent leakage.
- Please save original or replacement box, enclosed prepaid return shipping label, and packaging contents for future recycling use.
- Place used toner cartridge in original or replacement cartridge packaging.
- Apply manufacture-provided prepaid shipping label to the outside of original or replacement box, for shipment to original vendor recycling program.
- If no prepaid label is available – write RECYCLE on the outside of box.
- Close box with provided tabs and/or seal with shipping tape.
- EWU departments place cartridges in the toner/ink recycle collection box located on the first floor of HSB by the USPS mailboxes.
- WSU departments place recycling box in your department’s outgoing mailbox for pick up by WSU Mail Services.
- Place ink cartridge in original packaging if available, otherwise place in a sealable plastic bag to save cost and prevent leakage.
- EWU departments place in ink/toner recycle collection box located on the first floor of HSB by the USPS mailboxes.
- WSU departments place recycling box in in their existing campus outgoing mailbox location for pick up by WSU Mail Services.
The WSU cell phone recycling program is discontinued. Please recycle a cell phone through your cell provider or another source.
WSU Spokane Environmental Health & Safety
CCRS, Room 310
Acceptable and Unacceptable Items
Acceptable Paper Items
- Phone Books
- Computer Paper
- Fax Paper
- Paper Bags
- Junk Mail
- Sticky Notes
- Corrugated Cardboard (remove all packing materials and break down the box before putting it out for recycling)
Acceptable Plastic Items
- Clean, empty containers (must be thoroughly rinsed out with caps or lids removed and no straws)
- #1 plastic or clear #2 plastic containers (number located on bottom of containers)
- Pizza Boxes
- Chip Board (cereal boxes, soda can boxes, envelope boxes)
- Catalogs (no binding)
- Carbon Paper
- Hard Cover or Paperback Books (no bindings)
- Shipping and Mailing Tubes
- Poster Board
- Paper Contaminated with Food
- Waxed Paper or Waxed Cardboard
- Plastic Shopping Bags
- Shredded Paper