Do you have family and friends coming for Commencement?
- Doors will open at 1:00 P.M. All guests will be subject to Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena Security Procedures. Please review these procedures prior to arriving at the venue.
- Please note: The ceremony will start promptly at 2:00 P.M. Guests not seated at that time will need to wait until after the graduate processional before being seated.
- Parking is free on campus all day on May 3.
- Parking at the Veterans Memorial Arena will cost approximately $7.
- There will be a loading/unloading area in front of the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena main entrance doors.
- The ceremony will be sign-interpreted.
- No balloons are allowed inside the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena.
- Disabled seating and Assisted Listening Devices will be available through the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena Accessibility Services.
- If you or your guests need other accommodations, please contact Jason Trosine at email@example.com.
Ceremony instructions for students
- Commencement is Friday, May 3, at 2:00 P.M., at the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena (720 W Mallon Ave.). Graduates should arrive to the student line up area at 1:00 P.M.
- WSU Spokane volunteers will help you check in. You should leave personal items with your family or friends as the lineup area may not be secure during the ceremony.
- When you arrive in the lineup area, you will pick up a card that has your name and degree. During the commencement ceremony, you will give this card to the faculty presenter as you come on stage to receive your diploma. You will need to hold onto this card. If you think that the presenter may have difficulty pronouncing your name, please write it phonetically on the card.
- Next, you will be directed to gather with other graduates in your degree program (signs will be posted). Staff will give you further instructions on how the ceremony will proceed at that time.
- Faculty and students will proceed from the lineup area to the ceremony. Faculty will be seated on stage. Students will be seated in the front rows of the auditorium in degree order, so it is important to stay with others in your program and sit in the row you have been assigned. The ceremony will be outlined in the program you will receive.
- The Chancellor presents each category of degree candidate to the University President, who confers the degrees (doctoral students first, then masters, then baccalaureate). After degrees are conferred, you will be invited to approach the stage by degree – Doctoral students first, etc. to receive your diploma.
- Students in each degree program will go to the stage and a presenter will be at the podium at the top of the stairs. Hand your name card to that person and proceed across the stage, The president will hand you your diploma cover and shake your hand, and graduate students will be hooded by faculty on the stage. Proceed down the stairs and back to your seats.
What time will the Ceremony end?
The ceremony is approximately 2 hours in length.
When can students begin to order regalia?
When is the deadline to order regalia?
Regalia should be ordered by Friday, April 12, 2019 to guarantee proper sizes.
What is the rental cost?
See Regalia Order Form for pricing.
Is shipping available for regalia?
Yes, an additional fee of $8.95 is added for UPS shipping. To ensure timely delivery, regalia must be ordered by Friday, April 12, 2019.
When is regalia due back?
Regalia are due back to the WSU Spokane Bookie the day of graduation, no later than 5:30 P.M. Students wishing to participate in the WSU Pullman ceremony on May 4, 2019 should notify the Bookie to make arrangements for return.
Please direct all questions regarding regalia to the WSU Spokane Bookie.
Location: 410 E. Spokane Falls Blvd.
Hours: Mon-Fri: 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Announcements and Class Rings
Information regarding announcements and class rings can be found here.
- A professional photographer will take pictures of graduates as they receive their diploma cover. A second shot will be taken as graduate students are hooded or as undergraduates leave the stage.
- Only the official photographers will be allowed near the stage area. Personal pictures of graduates in caps and gowns should be take before and after the ceremony.
- Photo Order Forms are available now and prior to the ceremony from the photographer. The photographer will have a display table in the Spokane Arena with various order options.
Enjoy the day and your accomplishments!