Serving Ferry and Stevens Counties
Established in 2004, the Upward Bound program at WSU Spokane is designed for students in grades 9-12 at these four high schools: Columbia, Inchelium, Mary Walker, and Wellpinit.
The program helps students gain the academic skills and motivation they need for success in high school, college, and everyday life by providing support during the academic year, followed by a four-week summer residential program.
- Study skills development, tutoring, summer classes in composition and literature, math, computers, science and foreign languages
- assistance in choosing a college, tours of college campuses, visits to college fairs, assistance with college and financial aid applications and fee waivers; assistance with test preparations and fee waivers for SAT and ACT
- assistance searching for financial aid and scholarships, financial literacy, stipends (up to $20/month) for completion of program requirements, career exploration
- social, cultural and recreational opportunities
Students May Be Eligible If:
- They are between ages of 13 and 19, in grades 9 – 12, at Columbia, Inchelium, Mary Walker, or Wellpinit high school.
- Their parents did not graduate from a four-year college or university.
- They care classified as low-income based on standards provided by the U.S. Department of Education.
- They are interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree.
- They are willing to apply to three colleges or universities by November 21 of their senior year.
- They demonstrate an interest in registering for and taking a standardized test, such as the SAT and/or ACT.
- They maintain an open mind toward new cultural, social, educational and recreational experiences.
- They are willing to pursue a rigorous course curriculum and attend all Upward Bound individual and group meetings.
Services free, stipends paid
- All Upward Bound services are free to eligible participants
- During the academic year, students receive stipends up to $20 per month for completing program activities. During the summer session, students receive $15 per week.
- All Upward Bound pre-approved program expenses (classes, housing, meals, field trips) are paid for by the program.
Expectations of participants
- All students must attain a 2.5 grade point average (GPA) in all academic courses and incrementally increase their yearly cumulative GPA by 0.05 or higher.
- Students must pursue a rigorous course curriculum (pdf), as described in the Washington State College Academic Distribution Requirements (CADRs).
- Students must request tutoring from UB staff if obtaining a C or lower in any class.
- Students must attend all academic activities as required.
- Seniors must apply for admission to three colleges or universities.
- Students need to complete required standardized testing.