Resources for Teachers
MESA USA Engineering Challenge Resources Competition judges all will find resources at this site under PAC Documents. This includes the PowerPoint on “How to Score using a MESA Rubric” as well as the “Technical Paper, Oral Presentation, and Academic Display Scoring Criteria.”
Spokane MESA Science Competition Judge Resources
- How to score using a MESA rubric (PDF)
- 10th grade TP Rubric (PDF)
- 10th grade OP Rubric (PDF)
- 10th grade AD Rubric (PDF)
CSI in the Classroom Materials
- Teacher Supply List (PDF)
- Murder in the Meal Handout (PDF)
- Strawberry DNA Handout (PDF)
- Analyzing Stomach Contents Handout-Testing Macromolecules (PDF)
- Mystery Powder Handout (PDF)
- Career Videos
- STEM Career Videos
- Women in STEM – Find a role model or become one
- The Next Generation Zone (a youth training & employment agency)
Scholarships & Financial Aid
- College Bound Scholarship Program (for middle school students)
- Realize the Dream Scholarship (and others)
- Northwest Education Loan Association, Center for Student Success (information about college admissions & financial aid)
- The WashBoard Scholarship Search Site (for Washington residents only)
- Washington Opportunity Scholarship
Science Skills Practice
- Khan Academy – Biology
- Khan Academy – Chemistry
- Khan Academy – Physics
Practice math, science, and computer science skills by watching the videos and completing the activities offered through the always-free Khan Academy. Click on learn to view other subject matter of your choice.
- Video Science
Dan Menelly, a science teacher at the UN International School, provides the short videos at the center of this app, teaching students about all kinds of scientific concepts. There’s a growing library of over 80 hands-on science lessons that are great for home and the classroom. These short videos demonstrate inexpensive and easy to recreate experiments that are designed to inspire and excite kids of all ages.
Tools and Reference
- iLab: TimerHD
The ideal accompaniment to any lab work, this timer lets you easily time experiments with accuracy and record your results.
- Science Glossary
Look up the names of famous scientists, scientific terms, and other essential information in this free reference application for iPhone and iPad.
- MESA Curriculum Addendum: How to Fully Include Students with Disabilities
- Bozeman Science
Bozeman Science is maintained by Paul Andersen, a science teacher in Bozeman, MT. He has created hundreds of science videos that have been viewed millions of times by people around the world. Paul has taught high school science for many years and also teaches on YouTube.
- Advice for women considering biomedical science
Link to the videos the Science Education Partnership & Assessment Laboratory (SEPAL) created that offer near-peer mentor advice for females and females of color considering a career in Biomedical Science
- Engineer, Krista Donaldson, introduces the ReMotion Knee