There’s something about scones and coffee/tea in the morning that really add a level of comfort to your day! Normally though this comes with a guilty pleasure as most scones, especially pre-packaged from the store, are filled with an unsightly list of processed ingredients. These scones you can feel good about, and you can even have after a morning run or workout since they are a good source of healthy carbs and protein to maximize your muscle recovery. So treat yourself and whip up a batch up these bad boys for a Sunday brunch and then save the leftovers for a great snack the rest of your week!
Makes: 10 Scones
- 1 Cup Stone-Ground Cornmeal (I recommend Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Sugar (or other granulated sugar)
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 1 Stick (8 Tbsp) Cold, Unsalted Butter, cut into cubes
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Whole Milk Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Finely Grated Zest of 2 Lemons
- 1 Cup Frozen Blueberries
- Position a rack in the middle of your oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and sea salt.
- Making sure your butter is cold and cut into cubes, work the butter into the mixture until it’s the size of peas.
- In a small separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, vanilla and lemon zest. Combine with the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in the blueberries. Your batter should be sticky and thick.
- Drop the batter in large spoonfuls onto the baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes so that the bottoms become lightly browned. Once done, transfer to a rack to cool.
Nutritional Information: Calories 213 / Protein 4 g / Carbohydrates 26 g / Dietary Fiber 3 g / Total Sugars 7 g / Added Sugars 5 g / Total Fat 11 g / Saturated Fat 6 g / Monounsaturated Fat 3 g / Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Credit: Run Fast Eat Slow
Tips: Try adding sliced almonds onto the tops of your batter before putting them in the oven to have them come out like mine did in the picture shown above, they come out beautiful and give you a little extra nutrition boost!