Biomedical Engineering and Design
The goal of the Biomedical Engineering and Design Service Center is to help promote and foster science on the WSU Health Sciences Spokane campus. This is achieved through:
- Increased access to customized research hardware (for example, circadian/sleep chambers, 3D-printed parts, customized microscopy stages, surgical stereotaxic parts, and specialized molecular biology equipment).
- Increased access to computer-aided design (CAD) drawings for rapid prototyping
- Rapid response and adaptation to new scientific needs and technologies
- Intellectual property generating opportunities
- Allow researchers and startup businesses to leverage their resources by saving on cost and allowing them to innovate more efficiently
- Cutting, milling, turning and grinding a wide variety of materials, such as aluminum, stainless, carbon steel, and brass and exotics such titanium and high-temperature alloys
- Sheet metal bending and fabrication
- MIG and Arc welding of steel, stainless steel, and aluminum.
- Brazing and soldering of stainless steel, aluminum, and tungsten.
- Three-axis CNC milling (20″ X 40″ capacity)
- Plastics fabrication (cutting, milling, turning)
- Ultrasonic cleaning
- Provide inexpensive parts production in a variety of engineering resins (durable, flexible, rigid, tough, and high temperature) that can make fully functional parts or that can be used for prototyping during research development and design.
- The printer has the ability to print 3-D models as large as 6″x 6″ x 8″. Bring your STL or CAD files for us to process, or we can design and develop your idea on site.
Examples of Equipment Designed and Fabricated
- Microscopy and precision optics mounting components (2-photon and surgical stereoscope)
- Surgical tools and stereotaxic devices
- Electrophoresis apparatus
- Workbenches, instrument covers and special lab furniture
- Electronics panels and controls
- Animal enclosures/mazes/novel objects
- Sleep and circadian chambers for animals
- Engraved plaques and signs
Examples of Equipment Repaired
- Vivarium cage washing equipment sensors
- High vacuum pump repair
- Histology automatic tissue slide stainer repair