Learn more about service-learning pedagogy and professional development workshops and conferences by exploring the links below.
Service-Learning is a teaching and learning strategy (and a form of experiential learning) that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities (National Service-Learning Clearinghouse).
Community Engagement & Service Learning staff and the CESL Advisory Committee support service-learning at WSU Health Sciences Spokane by providing resources for Service-learning course development, Service-Learning site development, community agency partnership, risk management procedures, Student/Agency Evaluation, and service-learning course approval.
Service-Learning Course Development Process
Visit the following links to help develop your service-learning course. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Veronica Puente, Community Engagement Coordinator at email@example.com or at 509-358-7522.
- Best Practices for Service-Learning Pedagogy
- Campus Compact: Syllabi
- National Service-Learning Clearinghouse
- 101 “Ideas for Combining Service & Learning”
- Exemplars-Purposeful Civic Learning Objectives
Contact the Office of Community Engagement and Service learning for more information about the risk management process at WSU Health Sciences Spokane.
For a general overview about risk management, please review the following document: Guiding Principles to Reduce Risk in Community-Engaged Learning, California Polytechnic State University
Resources for Reflection
- DEAL Model for Critical Reflection, North Carolina State University
- Reflection Toolkit, Northwest Service Academy
- Community-Engaged Learning Reflection Journal, Purdue University
- International Community-Engaged Learning Reflection Journal, Purdue University
Workshops and Events
- North Carolina Campus Compact – Civic Engagement Institute and PACE Conference
- Gulf South Summit
- Campus Community Partnerships for Health (CCPH)
- The International Higher Education Teaching and Learning Association
- Imagining America – National Conference
- White Privilege Conference
Calls for Proposals